“In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity”
There are many things that spawn my passion for OSS, but the strongest reason is brilliantly encapsulated in Einstein’s quote above.
There are a loooooong list of difficulties with OSS in their current form:
- They have many layers of complexity
- They are time consuming to implement
- They are expensive to implement
- They often don’t deliver on desired outcomes
- They force massive change within the host organisation
- Their benefits are often too intangible to quantify in a Business Case
- They require people with a narrow niche of expertise to configure them
- They require high levels of data integrity to function well
Working back from these difficulties, take your pick of associated opportunities!