If you were to define just one trait that every person in OSS must unquestionably have, what would it be?
There are so many to choose from:
- Ability to work in a team – projects tend to be too broad for any one person to specify, design, implement, hand over and maintain
- Flexibility – it’s a bit like Forrest Gump’s box of chocolates. You’re never sure what you’re going to get. Not only that, but the chocolate box keeps changing
- Technical competence – they’re technical beasts
- Business-savvy – they don’t exist as technical solutions. They exist to offer insights and efficiency to customers
- Persistence – to overcome the endless stream of challenges that arise
- Attitude – a positive attitude to keep overcoming adversity and enhancing team morale
They’re all important and I’m sure WILL come up with many more, but the one factor that transcends all roles, areas of responsibility and target outcomes is:
- Obsessive curiosity / learning.
What traits do you see as being most essential in your new hires?Read the Passionate About OSS Blog for more or Subscribe to the Passionate About OSS Blog by Email